Monday, February 05, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia

As I'm sitting in my colder than necessary apartment reading various blogs, I have Seinfeld on in the background. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot the preview for Bridge to Terabithia.

Now, Bridge to Terabithia was one of my favorite novels growing up. It's about a boy and a girl who create an imaginary world in the woods called Terabithia. But keep in mind, they know whole-heartedly that Terabithia isn't real--that's the beauty of it all. It totally captures the child/pre-teen imagination.

Based on the preview for the film adaptation, though, it looks like Hollywood decided to cash in on the Eragon/Lord of the Rings/Chronicles of Narnia/Harry Potter craze and make Terabithia real. At one point the announcer ("In a world..." has always been his classic line) says that it's up to the two children to save the world they created from a menace on the inside. I know that film adaptations are expected to be different from the original work, but I feel like this time they're essentially fisting Katherine Paterson's work without her knowledge.

Of course, I could be wrong. I haven't even seen the movie.

No comments: