Thursday, December 06, 2007

YOU MUST BE THIS HAPPY TO ENTER by Elizabeth Crane


I'm just a little over halfway through this, and I'm already going to give it five stars. I've been glued to this on the G train. I want the G train to keep going so I can finish these stories before I have to read other things for my day job.

The title's perfectly apt: YOU MUST BE THIS HAPPY TO ENTER, with a happy bunny/precious moments creature staring at you from the cover, arms spread wide like a kid who can grasp the concepts of measurement to some basic degree. While these are stories for happy people, they're not saccharine. While these aren't saccharine, they're far from depressing. In one story a woman becomes a zombie and makes the best of it by going on one of those midday Lifetime reality shows where a houseful of women trump their problems by sharing gold stars and making papercrafts. All the while, you notice that there is no cynicism. None.

And you're all the happier for it.

Buy it through Akashic!

No comments: