Monday, June 30, 2008

Unbowed

With all that's going on surrounding Robert Mugabe's recent fraudulent election in Zimbabwe, I want to point everyone's attention towards Peter Godwin, my former professor at the New School and a Zimbabwe native. Having written for National Geographic as a means of free travel fare to visit his family in past times of turbulence, Godwin also wrote the memoir When a Crocodile Eats the Sun which chronicles some of Mugabe's exploits in the last decade.

Godwin was interviewed last week on WNYC's Brian Lehrer Show alongside Chaka Ngwenya, director of SARFM radio in NYC. While extremely informative, it also became an extremely emotional segment that kept me from my editing duties at my day job. I suggest everyone take the time and listen at WNYC. You can also locate the segment on the WNYC's Brian Lehrer Show podcast via iTunes.

See Zimbabwe: Trouble at Home at WNYC

Also, see my own interview with Godwin from last year at Bookslut. He gives a lot of information with regards to his background here.

EDIT: If you can't get the podcast to work, contact me in the comments section and I will send you the mp3.

No comments: